DomusForum 2020: The future of cities
6th November 2020
Managing Partner, Giulio De Carli, had the pleasure of speaking at the live-streamed, third edition of “domusforum: The future of cities”, which took place on 4 November 2020 at the Museo Nazionale Scienza e Tecnologia Leonardo da Vinci in Milan.
The prestigous forum invited guests, including Sir David Chipperfield, from a range of sectors to discuss the big question: “Will the concept of cities, as we know them, survive the era of the virus?”. As an expert on transportation design and urban mobility, Giulio De Carli was invited to lead the discussion on quality of our cities’ infrastructure and how we should look to overcome the future challenges emposed by this pandemic in relation to mobility.
Giulio discussed how cities are the platform on which the relationships and flows of the surrounding territories and exchanges with regions and other cities, even very far away, are grafted. If we begin to look at our city’s as an infrastructure, connected and in progress, this will push us to imagine better quality and higher performance solutions. Today, more than ever, we need to find the energy so that the difficulties caused by the pandemic push us to look forward, taking advantage of a point of view that we have never experience, before we go back to our usual ways of thinking.
“Rather than going back to the old normality we should go towards a new normality. Let’s just think of how many jobs will be lost. The question is: what do we want in the future?” -Giulio De Carli, architect, co-founder and managing partner of One Works, #domusforum2020 #Future pic.twitter.com/IkfZ3syTP6— Domus (@DomusWeb) November 4, 2020
Giulio was joined by some of the industry’s leading experts from around the world, including:
- Sir David Chipperfield, Domus guest editor 2020
- Fiorenzo Galli, general director of the National Museum of Science and Technology Leonardo da Vinci of Milan
- Giovanni Fosti - President of Fondazione Cariplo, Associate Professor of Practice of Government, Health and Not for Profit at SDA Bocconi School of Management.
- Wowo Ding - Director of the Center of the future city and human settlements, Nanjing University
- Jyoti Hosagrahar - Deputy Director at UNESCO World Heritage Center, Paris -
- Vittorio Magnago Lampugnani - Architectural historian and theorist, professor emeritus, ETH Zurich
- Rahul Mehrotra - Chair of Urban Planning and Design, Harvard University Graduate School of Design
- Rinaldo Melucci - Mayor of Taranto, Apulia
- Nicola Pianon - Managing Director and Senior Partner at Boston Consulting Group, Milan
- Marco Tronchetti Provera - Executive Vice Chairman and CEO Pirelli
- And many more.
To find out more you can revive all the highlights from the event by visiting the official website or by watching the full registration of the event organized by Domus in Milan.
Photo by Mirko Cecchi